Enable Two-Step Verification on Hotmail
What is "two-step verification"?
2-step verfication, also know as two-factor authentication (2FA), is an advanced security layer included on Microsoft Accounts to make it more difficult for hackers to get access and gain control of your Hotmail.com / Outlook.com account. Even if someone else finds your password, they'll be stopped if they don't have access to your security info. This is also why it's important to use different passwords for all your accounts.
You set up two-step verification with an email address, phone number, or authenticator app. When you sign in on a new device or from a new location, Hotmail / Outlook will send you a security code to enter on the sign-in page.
But remember that if you forget your password, you need two contact methods. Or if you lose your contact method, just your password won't get you back into your account – and it can take you 30 days to regain access. You may even lose access to the account. For that reason, we strongly recommend you keep three pieces of security info on your account, just in case.
Enable 2-step verification on Hotmail
- Login to your Hotmail / Outlook / Live account. Then click on the avatar in the top right corner of the page, choose "View Account".
- Choose "Security tab".
Then click on "more security options".
- Choose "Set up two-step verification" on additional security options page.
- If it is a requirement to verify your identity before some security changes are made, you will be asked to login again. Enter your password in the dialog box, then click "Sign In".
- Now you can choose receiving verification code by an app, a phone number, or an alternate email address. The best way is to choose a phone number to receive a verification code, click "Get it now".
- Enter your phone number, choose "Text" or "Call", and click "Next".
Enter the code you received in the blank. Click "Next"
- In the next screen, click "Next".
- And click "Finish". Now you set up 2-step verification sucessfully for your Hotmail / Outlook / Live account.